The last chilli recipe you'll ever need

My family love chilli.  Even my sons who detest peppers and all things onion, love chilli and eat all of the vegetables hidden inside.  Minus one mistake along the way (mixing up teaspoons and tablespoons when it comes to cayenne pepper isn't one to do) this has always been a winner.  We love chilli, it's as simple as that.  This recipe serves lots of people, but chilli is always better warmed up, so make lots and save it for leftovers.  Do it!

Chilli, rice and chips

As a side note, I have always struggled to know if the spelling is 'chili' or 'chilli' or even 'chile'.  I have since discovered that it doesn't matter at all.  The 'chile' is your Spanish speaking countries, 'chili' is American English (why bother putting English??) and 'chilli' is traditional English.  Seeing as how I'm from two out of three of those places I've decided that I don't care and use both interchangably.


I have discovered a few things over the years of making chilli:

1. I don't like rice with my chilli (get over it!) because it dilutes the flavour.  Give a big bowl with tortilla chips and I am set.

2. I love a really beany chilli.  I like to add all sorts of beans, the more the merrier.

3. I like to taste the spices, not taste the hole that has appeared in my mouth because of the spice (thank you mistake!).

4. Most veggies can work in a chilli but too many and the spicing gets all messed up (read: diluted).

5. Cornbread is always a winner.  If I always crack it out then my family begins to expect it, so I keep it for special occasions.  It can sometimes become the main attraction rather than the chilli


I love getting the ingredients ready for a chilli because it gets everyone excited.  They come in, get nervous about the onions and peppers then see the beans and get excited because they know what is coming.  Chilli-anticipation is excellent.

I sometimes use meat, others not

Although I've prepared it all at the same time, when I'm in a rush, the beans and tomato stock end up being opened in a rush at the last minute.  If 'just-in-time' is ok for manufacturing then it's ok for my cooking too.  I love making the powdered seasoning myself.  It takes about a minute and once you've tasted it, anything else is a pale mockery.  Don't buy packets of 'chilli seasoning' because they aren't worth the papery plastic they're sold in (compared to mine).


The mixture of beans is always a sight to behold

In cooking other cuisines I discovered how long it takes (and why it's so important) to cook out your onions and after adding this little technique to my repertoire, this recipe tastes even better.


Browning the onions and peppers

I always cook out the tomato paste for a minute before adding the other liquids and spices.  I don't even know why, I will have to research more why everyone says to do that.  Hmmm.  Another blog post one day in the future maybe.

Once everything is added, I let the chilli simmer for at least 30 minutes (but usually until everything else is cooked).

Everything added, now to simmer

Here are must have ingredients to a good chilli:

Non-negotiables

  1. Beans - Red kidney beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas, mixed beans; you name it they work.  I tend to put a mixture of all of them because I like them all and they all add something different to your chilli.  If you simmer it for long enough, some dissolve and add a lovely creaminess, whilst others hold their shape regardless.
  2. Onions - I never realised how much I loved onions in chilli until I made the mistake of ordering a chilli at a restaurant which was basically onionless.  How can you not put onions in your chilli??  Needless to say, I didn't order chilli again.
  3. Tomatoes - I love the taste of tomatoes (my wife is a lot less of a fan) so put lots in.  In this recipe though there does have to be a balance so that it's not just a Mexican ragu with beans.  You need their sweetness and tanginess.
  4. Cumin - It is one of my favourite spices so it gets used a lot.  Every recipe I could find didn't use enough for my liking.  It's pairing with the tomatoes and beans is a match made in heaven.  Don't hold back.
  5. Time - the longer you simmer it for, the better your chilli will taste.  The flavours need time to meld together properly, not enough time and you can almost taste the individual spices.  If you really want to go hardcore then cook it in the morning (or even the day before) and then reheat it when you want it.


Variations

Depending on my mood, as well as which vegetables need to be eaten, I throw a variety in.  Aside from the obligatory onions and peppers, we have used carrots, mushrooms, celery, zucchini.  I would shy away from the cruciferous veggies as they will add a weird sulfurous taste to the chilli, if you really want to eat them then add them as a side.

Obviously, if you like to breathe fire, put more cayenne pepper and chilli powder in.  I take no responsibility for your burnt mouth.

This can absolutely be made in a pressure cooker, just make sure to slow release the pressure if you've got stewing beef in otherwise it can end up a bit tough.

With regards to toppings, I like the usual cheese, spring onions and coriander.  Depending on my dairy needs I might add sour cream too.  Chopped jalapenos, black olives work too.  My children absolutely love to crumble their cornbread into their bowls and mix it all up.  Instead of wasting good cornbread, just add a few tablespoons of cornmeal before serving and it achieves a better texture (and taste).


Cooking tips

Softening the onions and peppers takes longer than you would think, but the heat of the pan is also important.  Heat the pan to medium heat before putting the oil in.  As soon as the oil is in, put the onions and peppers and stir to coat in the oil then stir occasionally until the start to become translucent with brown edges (they may stick a little to the pan but don't worry about that at all).  The brown bits add flavour.  If you are going to add carrots then add these first and when they are half done add the onions.

I don't tend to sear any meat I add because I haven't found any appreciable addition to the final taste.  Don't bother, just add it straight to the veg. and stir until its a little brown.

The beans can be added with the liquids and allowed to simmer, this is what gives them time to soften up, if you like harder (not uncooked, just with a bit of bite) then add then nearer to the end.  Beans take longer to soften when they are cooked in acid (read:tomatoes) so they will need more time if they are not fully cooked already.  Canned beans can be eaten straight from the can so you don't have to worry about safety, just texture preferences.

Bring the chilli to a boil then reduce the heat to as low as you can go to see the occasional bubble on top, you don't want a rolling boil just to keep the chilli hot.




One-pot Chilli

Serves - 10

Time - 1 hour

Ingredients

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 onions (diced)

2 bell peppers (diced)

5 cloves garlic

500g mince (optional)

2 tsp onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp hot paprika

1 Tbsp cumin

1 ½ tsp coriander

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

½ tsp cayenne pepper

400g passata

1 tube tomato paste

500mL chicken stock

2 beef stock cubes

2 cans kidney beans

1 can mixed beans

1 can chickpeas


Method

  1. Preheat a pan on medium heat.  Add the oil then cook the onions and peppers until slightly brown.
  2. Add the meat and garlic and cook for 1 minute
  3. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
  4. Add the passata, stock, spices and stock cubes and stir to mix.
  5. Add the beans and bring to a boil
  6. Simmer for as long as possible
  7. Serve when ready with any toppings (see variations)


For more pictures and videos, find me on Instagram at @jonshomekitchen

Comments