Perfect Scrambled eggs

As my first foray into food blogging I realised that I need to start with something that literally wakes me up in the morning.  It is a 'quick' labor of love that always results in a happy family.  

For me there is nothing quite so satisfying as sitting down with some lovely creamy scrambled eggs, some salty bacon and a bready bagel.  I get 'egg cravings' when I don't have them for a while, and is one of the main reasons why I have struggled against being a vegan (one of many really).

I always watch celebrity chefs describe their methods of creating the 'perfect' scrambled eggs and describe about a thousand steps for perfection and it made me wonder whether they were worth it.  One day many moons ago I decided to try out a few of their recipes, none quite hit the spot so I did a bit of kitchen alchemy and created my own recipe.  Truth be told, I think it was one of my first truly successful creations (in family terms at least).  My children regularly ask for it (egg cravings must run in the family) and were delighted when they woke to this breakfast as a last-day-of-school treat. 

Creamy eggs, salty bacon, bready bagel, tangy OJ.  Perfection



The first step is to get the correct order of ingredients.  Add the butter into the eggs before whisking to ensure they get incorporated throughout more evenly.

Eggs and butter before whisking

You can see from the photos below how the eggs begin to cook.  It doesn't seem like much is happening, and then all of a sudden they're done.  That's where the timing comes in.  Leave it too long and they will be rubber!


Just beginning to cook around the edges

You can see the difference between when they first start to cook, and when they really really start to cook.  The edges become very pale and puffy.  It's at this point you need to reduce the cooking time.

Proper cooking.  Pale puffy eggs

Once you start whisking the cooked egg, the whole mixture turns from an orangish liquid to a yellow mush.  This tells you you're almost ready to add the mustard and yoghurt.

Still not ready but close.

The size of the chunks is dependent on you.  If you're not bothered then don't worry about using a whisk.

A great combination is bacon, bagel and OJ


It is not as simple as bunging the eggs in the microwave for 5 minutes and knowing they'll be ready - there is a reason why it that is too easy; however, they are worth every minute taken.  They are infinitely adaptable but there are some absolute musts:


Non-negotiables 

  1. Eggs - I don't rear my own chickens (yet) but I know the difference in taste; however this is tempered by me being a cheapskate.  I will leave it to you to buy the best you can afford.
  2. Butter - My son is semi-allergic to dairy and I still put this in.  The addition of butter at the beginning is essential to the creamy taste.  I use margarine (I know I know!!) but it still achieves a similar effect.  When I'm feeling especially luxurious I get the real stuff.
  3. Mustard - I always add mustard.  This is a must because it adds a slight undertone of fiery heat which chilli doesn't ever give in the same way.  I choose Dijon because it needs to be hidden in my household but wholegrain works well too if you like the visual affects.  Whether you like mustard or not (minus those who are actually allergic) add it because you can't taste it strongly enough for those mild haters to notice.
  4. Yoghurt - This adds the texture and tang at the end of the cooking to lift your eggs quite a few levels from what you are used to if you've never done it before.  Seriously, don't underestimate what a few tablespoons of yoghurt will do to your scrambled eggs.
  5. Salt - AT THE END.  Any sooner and it will draw out any moisture in your eggs and they will cry into your bowl and what you have done to them.
  6. Time - don't rush them because they'll cook too fast and you'll be left with a rubbery mess.  From start to finish it should take at least 10 minutes but it'll be worth every minute.

Variations

Every other part is based on you and your own tastebuds.  Fancy something spicy, add chilli flakes; middle-Eastern, Harissa or paprika; hispanic then cumin, Indian....the list goes on and on.  When I get round to it I'll post an image of all the different eggs I've tried.  Post in the comments things you've added and how it's gone.  I'm always up for trying new tastes.

Cooking tips


If the eggs are cooked correctly then they will be runnier than you might otherwise have cooked them.  They won't be a solid mass, you are allowed a little bit of eggy runniness without dying (assuming your eggs are Red Lion stamped).  You want to reduce the cooking time to 20 seconds (or even 15 second intervals) when the edges begin to thicken.  Don't chuck them in for 3 minutes until they are almost cooked because then it'll be a struggle to get the texture correct.  Proper egg cookery is all about even heat distribution.

You can change the texture of the eggs massively depending on how long and vigorously you whisk them.  If you want really light airy eggs with VERY small pieces then whisk them more frequently than I suggest and for longer (I don't like the texture but I know they're common, and popular, in France). Using a fork for chunkier pieces is also great, especially if you want to put them into a sandwich. I would never begrudge someone having a scrambled egg sandwich!

Think about what you are serving the eggs with.  If they're going to be accompanied by bacon or sausages (they are always the main dish!) then reign in the salt you add as the meats will add enough.  If it's just with bread then you'll want to add a little more to ensure they're not too bland.  Make sure they are always the star of the show.

You can cook these on the stove in a pan but they require constant watching and stirring to ensure they don't stick. I never have time for them (aside from the distractions of family) so find the microwave does a very similar job with less risk of them continuing to cook without my seeing.

My recipes are usually enough to feed a family of five (with leftovers) so feel free to adjust accordingly.

Recipe for Scrambled Eggs


Serves - 2
Time - 10 minutes (max)

Ingredients


3 eggs
1 knob of butter (about 15g)
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp yoghurt (greek or plain)
Salt and Pepper

Optional - 1/4 tsp nigella seeds


Method


  1. Whisk the eggs and butter together (including any optionals) and heat in the microwave for 1 minute.
  2. Whisk again and cook for another 30 seconds.
  3. As the edges begin to solidify reduce the time to 20 seconds (whisking each time).
  4. When almost done, add the mustard and yoghurt and heat for another 30 seconds (see photos above)
  5. Add salt to taste and serve hot.



For more pictures of my scrambled eggs find me on Instagram at @jonshomekitchen



Comments

  1. Nice and simple, I like it. Never tried. Mustard but now I will!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment